“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” The Dalai Lama
This statement has been proven true many times in my life. In fact, over and over again, I have realized how irrational my wants truly are. Years ago, on a family vacation to Hawaii, we were driving around a small town on the island of Kauai trying to decide what and where to eat. After listing multiple suggestions my dad slowly stated, "A salad sounds good. That's what I want. That's what I need." So, my dad had a salad that night. The statement, as simple as it was has remained a family joke ever since.
I enter a store with my mom and spot the cutest pair of heels I have ever seen--"Mom, these are perfect! They are what I want. They are what I need." And, I leave the store with a new pair of shoes.
Being the only daughter in my family, this trick often works with my parents but, real life isn't the same. I believe in God and I believe he knows more than I do, what I want and what I need. He has also taught me that my wants and needs are two completely different things. So, as I sit here, writing this blog post, wanting a certain boy to contact me, wanting to be back in Europe, and wanting to know what I will do after I graduate, I understand that sometimes, the salad dressing may be too oily and the shoes may be the wrong size.
love that quote by the Dalai Lama! so true!
ReplyDelete