Thoughts On Change

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

When I boarded my plane to Hawaii, the weather was cold and damp.  It was the type of weather that required my favorite flannel and a beanie.  It made my heart ache for cooler temperatures and a scarf around my neck.  The rain clouds had me dreaming of raking leaves, apple cider, and caramels. They made me miss the autumn colors which drip off of the soon-to-be naked trees and the dark evenings that start prematurely and the cold mornings that seem to never end.  I haven't experienced Fall in four years.  I love my beaches, my sunshine and the blue ocean waves but right now, I crave the crisp coolness that enters your lungs when you step outside on a cool Fall day and breath in the change of season that surrounds you.

There is a comfort that comes from living an endless summer.  But, the changes that occur from season to season don't seem to come with as much ease when every day seems to be July 3rd.  Yesterday, I hugged my roommate Abby goodbye.  As we drove her to the airport and as I watched her say her farewells, it was as if it were happening to me.  I was leaving my island home, I was saying goodbye to the water, the green mountains and the friends whom I now call family.  In that moment it hit me that in three months, that will be me. The changes are coming and I can feel them as strongly as I felt the change of temperature when August turned to September.  That drop of a few degrees told me me that Autumn was fast approaching and although I am back in Hawaii where the temperature remains fairly consistent,  I am the leaf about to drop off of the soon-to-be-naked tree.

image via.

1 comments:

  1. I love this. Makes me reminisce on all the amazing hawaiian memories I have - but also be grateful for where I am now.

    ReplyDelete

leave some love.

calendar girl All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger