i am easily swayed by the likes and dislikes of others. it's sickening, really.
i automatically wonder how many likes a photo or status will get, if a picture will be re-pinned, or if there
will be a comment waiting for me at the end of the day.
i compare myself to everyone around me. i want their voice, her clothes, his skills, longer hair and legs.
i want to be funnier and more athletic, more organized and up-to-date.
most of the time, i want to be someone other than myself.
it's hard keeping track of who you are in this world. i wish it wasn't.
and i wish i was more confident in myself.
but, i find that as i grow older, i am getting there.
i don't want to be recognized for my jeans, my shoes, or my amazing hand-bag.
i want to be known for my thoughts, my ideas, my testimony and my talents.
i want simplicity.
i want to be satisfied.
“Learn to like what doesn't cost much.
Learn to like reading, conversation, music.
Learn to like plain food, plain service, plain cooking.
Learn to like fields, trees, brooks, hiking, rowing, climbing hills.
Learn to like people, even though some of them may be different...different from you.
Learn to like to work and enjoy the satisfaction doing your job as well as it can be done.
Learn to like the song of birds, the companionship of dogs.
Learn to like gardening, puttering around the house, and fixing things.
Learn to like the sunrise and sunset, the beating of rain on the roof
and windows, and the gentle fall of snow on a winter day.
Learn to keep your wants simple and refuse to be controlled by the likes and dislikes of others.”
Lowell C. Bennion
i love this girl
ReplyDeletewe live in the same mindset entirely.
ReplyDeletemy thoughts exactly
ReplyDeleteI love this quote! I love this post. I think this is really important for everybody to learn. I also think that it's something that I have to relearn all the time. I know what I want in my life, but it's hard to keep myself on that track sometimes. I know everyone has an idea of themselves living up to their best selves. Having this amazing, and good, really good expectations of ourselves to be better and better. but sometimes we complicate it by living up to other peoples expectations or even our own can be all too complicated. I know I do. I often have a complicated vision of myself with these great expectations. I also don't think it's impossible to live up to great expectations and become better, but I agree that we need to learn simplicity. I've found that when I simplify my expectations and my priorities, that I am happier with myself and the journey towards my pursuits rather than the consequences of them. great post!
ReplyDeleteI love that quote. And I love this post. It's so hard to want some pretty ridiculous things in the blogging/internet world so we really need to narrow it down and learn to look for the really important things. LOVE!
ReplyDeletei love this. sometimes i'm guilty of the same thing. really, this is a perfect post and poem.
ReplyDeleteperfect.